National Registry of Recorded Sound
Each year, ten new sound recordings are added to the National Registry of Recorded Sound in recognition of their cultural, historical and aesthetic significance, and how they reflect life in Australia. Take a look at the more than 70 sounds added since the Registry’s inception in 2007.
They can be popular songs, advertising jingles, famous speeches, radio broadcasts, or any other sound recordings – as long as they’re Australian and more than 10 years old.
Help us select this year’s entries!
Nominate a sound - submissions for 2013 close on 1 June
Alternatively you can download the form and fax or mail to us.
About the nomination process
Public nominations are accepted throughout the year, and close on 1 June. Nominations received after this date will be considered in the following year’s selection process.
The nominated sounds are assessed by a panel of experts from the recorded sound industry and cultural institutions. From the nominations, the panel will recommend recordings to the Chair of the panel for inclusion in the Registry. The panel may also recommend nominations to be held over for consideration the following year.
To be eligible for inclusion, sounds must meet the following selection criteria:
- For the purposes of the Registry, 'sound recordings’ are defined as works that result from the fixation of a series of musical, spoken, or other sounds, but not including the sound component of a moving image work, unless it is available as a stand alone sound recording or is the only surviving component of the work.
- Recordings may be a single item or group of related items; published or unpublished; and may contain music, spoken word, or any other sound.
- Recordings do not have to be part of the NFSA’s National Recorded Sound Collection.
- The recording must be at least 10 years old to be nominated.
- Recordings are assessed on their cultural, historical and aesthetic significance and relevance, and how they inform or reflect life in Australia.
You may submit up to three nominations per year.
Any sounds you nominate up to 1 June 2013 will be considered in that year’s selection process.